I am 1% German, but I am 100% from the Philadelphia area. Soft pretzels are super important to my culture. I miss those gluten filled soft pretzels so much, but these homemade pretzels are pretty darn close. Let me know what you think!
Gluten free soft pretzel recipe
• 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
• 2 and 1/4 tsp instant yeast
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp unsalted butter,
• 3 and 3/4 cups gluten free flour (I use cup 4 cup)
• 9 cups water
• 1/2 cup baking soda
• Toppings – sea salt or cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Pour yeast into warm water and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Add in salt, brown sugar and melted butter. Mix.
3. Add in flour, mix as you slowly add in until you’ve mixed in all 3 and 3/4 cups until dough is thick and not sticky.
4. Sprinkle leftover flour on counter and start to shape the dough into a ball. Do this for 3-5 minutes.
5. Cover dough shape as ball with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10-12 minutes.
6. Section the dough and roll into a 15-18 inch rope.
7. Fold the ends down, making an upside down U shape. Then twist the ends up and press them down into the shape of a pretzel. (I watched a YouTube video the first time, it was helpful!)
8. Boil the water and baking soda on high. take 1 pretzel at a time and place into boiling water for 25 seconds
9. Lift pretzel out of pot and let any water drip off before placing on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
10. Sprinkle any sea salt, cinnamon or your topping of choice. Repeat steps 6-9 until you’ve used all of your dough.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until pretzels turn golden