Today we made some homemade gluten free and nut free bagels. It was a fun quarantine activity and they came out awesome! I missed having a warm bagel come right out of the oven! Below is the recipe:
• 1 tbsp granulated sugar
• 2 1/4 cups warm water
• 1 tablespoon instant yeast
• 3 1/2 cups gluten free flour, I use cup for cup
• 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum only if your flour doesn’t have any (cup4cup does so I left it out)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 egg white
• 1 tbsp water
• Mix granulated sugar and warm water. Once dissolved then add the yeast. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes
• Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line an oven safe bowl with oil or spray
• Add gf flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar to the mixture and mix (don’t have a mixer so we did it by hand, but it would be easier with a mixer)
• Cover dough in oven safe bowl with plastic wrap and put in oven for 15 minutes.
• Once dough is out of oven, preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
• Spread some flour on counter and then mix in with dough so it is less sticky. Roll 6 balls of the dough and make a hole in the middle of each using your finger.
• Once you have your bagels shaped then cover them with a dish towel and let rise on the counter for 7-10 minutes.
• Bring 2 qts of water to a boil in a pot and then add in the honey. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to medium heat.
• Place bagel in boiling water 1 at a time and boil for 30 seconds then flip the bagel over for 30 more seconds.
• Once bagel has been in water for 1 minute then return to the sheet. Repeat for all.
• Brush the boiled bagels with egg whites all over on sides and tops. Add on any seasoning.
• Bake the bagels for 12 minutes and then turn the baking sheet and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
• Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!
Here’s our bagels! I hope you enjoy!